Week 5 (15th July)

This week I’ve moved onto a different project. It’s supposed to be a booking system so students can book sound equipment, based on their level of access (beginner, intermediate or advanced), along with all the other features a booking app should have, such as no double bookings, and penalties for late or damaged returns.

I created an excel sheet using the basic data, then exported it as a csv file to put into phpMyAdmin (which I used the previous year) so I could do basic queries, then exported it as a SQL file for later use.

Week 4 (8th July)

This is the final week I’ll be working on the Virtual Assistance Chat Bot. I edited the LUIS utterances (which ended up not being used, instead we just used the QnA Maker), added more questions and answers, tested the bot multiple times, and tried to get the bot to log the questions into  a azure storage/database, yet it wasn’t able to connect to Azure so it couldn’t log anything in the end, even tried a powershell script instead of C#).

Basically the Chat Bot is a local bot for use in the university. It can’t be used globally, for example, because of the specific phrases it uses like “MP” or “PC Finder” which would only return BCU related results. I would like to see someone carry this project further and get it up and running on Moodle, because it’s a really interesting idea.

Week 3 (1st July)

This week we moved away from the HTML and onto c sharp, where our team managed to get the chat bot to work using the Bot Framework Emulator which we have to open as a separate program, unlike in the HTML file we were working on last week where we could just open the file in browser. On Tuesday we had a hackathon and setup the basics with the stakeholder, and after that I added about 50 “topic related questions” to a knowledge base.

Week 2 (24th June)

This week we were introduced to the projects and what teams we will be working in. My team was assigned to the chat bot project, which is a virtual assistance chat bot to be used within the university.

Firstly we did our research on Microsoft Azure, and QnA Maker, which we would be using to implement the bot. QnA Maker stores the questions, so after a meeting with our stakeholder, we made an excel sheet containing over 150 questions and answers to start. We will need more questions as time goes on, which we will get by asking people (like the help desk, or new students at the open day).

We then got the html file from the stakeholder and we started working on it. I can understand the javascript part of it mostly, but the html was challenging. So I worked on trying to implement what the stakeholder asked of us in javascript (adding features like multiple links and google maps working in the chat bot). This requires lots of research and trial and error, and is much more complicated then it seems, however we managed to get the links working and the basic google maps working.

On Saturday, working on the open day I managed to get the enter key working to make searching easier, and got google maps to work in the bot.

Overall I did a lot of research of javascript, and tried different methods using arrays to try and get the links to work.

Week 1 (17th June)

At the start of the week, I was introduced to the summer placement and the people leading it. We have over 30 projects from different companies, which we’ll be introduced to over the following weeks.

Shortly after I started some team building exercises with the rest of my colleagues, which got me to know them better, and then we undertook some necessary health and safety training.

The first project we were assigned was to brand our company. As a team, we eventually decided on the team name Curso, combining Curzon and Software, as we are a software house. Everyone was divided into different teams such as Design, Implementation and Research each having have different tasks. I was part of the Implementation team, meaning we would implement a website for Curso. We started off using a free WordPress.com host, which has basic website building features.

I decided on the projects page, and obtained a basic wireframe from the design team. In the basic WordPress.com site, there’s not enough plugins available, so we were limited in what we could produce, however, I created a basic projects page (products at the time, but we renamed it). We eventually got access to a WordPress.org site and url which allowed us to use more and professional plugins, such as Elementor, which is an advanced drag and drop page builder plugin. Throughout the rest of the week I worked with my team and the other teams to replace the placeholder content and images, and even helped the other teams to design logos and do research.

At the end of the week, we have a finalized website built on WordPress.org, which we will continue to update as we get more information throughout the weeks, for example as we learn about new projects I will update the project page.

Overall I learned a lot about page building in WordPress, logo creating and branding. I feel like I worked well with my teammates and everything seems to be going smooth so far.